Tuesday 4 December 2012

Research project - getting my thoughts in order


 'It looks 3D!' said my mother after I gave her her birthday present (above) - a print of a beagle. It has been mentioned to me that the technique I will be using in my Final Major Project is similar to 'Pointillism' - repeated dots, which from a distance 'merge', similar to when you un-focus your eyes and things blur together. After looking at Pointillist works (below), I began to think of 'Illusions' - images that look real but aren't, or things that play with our perception of depth and reality.

 
Pointillist painting by Georges Seurat
 From this I went a step further, and decided to look into creating work for 3D glasses. The term for 3D images viewed using red/cyan glasses are 'Anagylphs' (below). 
Before I can attempt to create my own work, I will have to further research how they can be effectively created, and what other methods of 3D are possible for me to create. While researching I came across the fact that illusions/3D images are used when detecting sight defects. This is a particular interesting fact, to me, because I have slightly mis-aligned eyes myself. I also went on to think of other eye related things - eye tests, or colour-blindness tests, and wondered what primary school children are taught about eye tests. I also have a brother who we suspect is colour-blind, but he has never been tested. With these slight things that fascinate me, I am as yet unsure if I want to create 3D artwork (still on the theme of birds) as education for children about eye-sight, as entertainment, or as a medical tool. I would like to create 3D things are posters and/or small simple zines. I will have to do A LOT more research (as there's lots of science involved!) but I hope I will find it interesting, and will be able to use my new-found knowledge effectively.

Anaglyph (to be viewed with red/cyan 3D glasses)


No comments:

Post a Comment