Thursday 19 April 2012

The Proposal - 20th March 2012

My research project will be an investigation into how Photography and costume leads into informing the Illustrative purpose. I will explore if, when creating a 3D object, it helps a person when they are drawing. Because a person has made something themselves from scratch, and have spent a long amount of time creating it, does this mean that they are able to visualise it more easily and from different angles?

I hope to create pairs of wings, first from fabric, using an internet tutorial, and secondly a pair from more substantial materials (again using an internet tutorial, and the materials will depend on the instruction provided). The more ‘solid’ wings may be hinged (able to be pulled open, or opens when arms are moves) or stationery depending on the extent of my skills and access to materials. The size of the wings will depend on time constraints, costs etc. I am unsure whether these wings will be bird-like (part of a costume, which I would make myself) or will be stand-alone (worn with normal clothes).

From these wings, which will either be created for me or a model, I will take photos/have photos taken. I may then use these photos to create a narrative, either of a found text, or one created by myself. I will make sketches from the photographs, and would like to explore collage, printing methods, and mixed-media. I would also like to try making stencils from the poses modelled. Through this I hope to see what an Illustrator can take from a Photograph/making process. I will explore how creating a 3D object and photographing it affects an artist’s understanding of colour, composition, light and texture. I will explore the questions made earlier – whether, after having made the wings, if I will be able to draw them with confidence and accuracy.

I also hope to design my own fabric; using repeated patterns and form, maybe using my own Photographs of my wings. I will explore different methods of fabric printing, possibly screen printing, but will use the internet to find inspiration and instructions, and will use craft websites for videos and photo tutorials to learn new skills.

This proposal is my first draft, and is (very) likely to change, though I doubt the subject of flight/wings will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment